23rd Falzarego

23rd Falzarego

It was freezing again last night and we started to regret throwing out the slippers earlier on in the trip. It rained at 6am and then the sun struggled to emerge from the clouds. The wind, even though southerly, had quite a bite to it.  As we had breakfast the blue sky appeared a little but it was cold. The Dutch couple have been living in their car for 2months and small tent.
Packed up we set off for via del buco (grade4) 30mins walk from the van. There were two climbers on the route and 3 Germans waiting. So we waited for our turn in the chilly wind.
Eventually we set off on what turned out to be a really good climb on the lower sections but the last two pitches were broken.
On pitch two my hands were pretty numb after a long wait for the next belay to be cleared. Suddenly, from above, an expletive from Lawr. My rope went loose and I tried to hold the rock tighter as I wondered what had happened. Turns out Law had dropped the spare camera battery. I shouted up, 'they are ten a penny but you only get one Wend…TAKE IN’.
We carried on and the Germans let us passed, with Marcus their lead climber making imitations of the loud Italians on the climb next to us.
On pitch 6 things were going well. I even had some heat back in my body, due to nerves I think.
A bellow of ‘BELOW’ from Lawr had myself and the Germans hugging the rock as a small stone dropped passed us. We all relaxed and I carried on up to meet Lawr. Just as I had started another ‘BELOW’ came from Lawr. This time a hand sized rock whizzed past my helmet with the debris hitting my rucsac but thankfully clearing the ledge the German were on below. It turns out that the rock whizzed past Lawr's left side and may have been dislodged by some fighting Chuffs. ( Lawr has now put Chuffs down the pecking order of his favourite birds. I think I still feature in the top three…)
The last few pitches were scree and it was like walking on eggshells. At bone belay boulder the rock had deterioratd and felt very unreliable, but the end was in sight. The 10 pitch climb was over and overall a good route. We wandered down the Austrian Troop path and over a 15m suspension bridge and back to the van, via a look for the fallen camera battery. We consoled our lose with a water melon feast.
 
Highs – 10 pitch climb, water melon, relaxed start
Lows – scree, falling rocks, cold hands, ripped jacket
Note - we’re having a bruised knee cap competition and I seem to be winning

Comments